The federal government has told the Supreme Court that it has formed a fact-finding committee to investigate the Faizabad sit-in in 2017.
In a written reply submitted on Friday, the government said that the committee was set up to comply with the directions issued in the judgement in the case which was announed in 2019.
The committee comprises of additional secretaries from the ministries of interior and defence as well as a director from the Inter-Services Intelligence.
The government reply has asked the Supreme Court for time to submit its report which should be finalised by December 1. The reply added that the first meeting of the committee has already taken place on Thursday.
The terms of reference of the committee, as listed in the government reply, include collecting relevant documents, recording witness statements, accessing the matter under relevant laws determining the role of all those who were involved in managing and handling the sit-in.
The government also mentioned in its reply that it has already asked to withdraw its petition in the case.
On Thursday, the Election Commission of Pakistan had submitted its reply in the case saying that the Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan was not found to be involved in any anti-state activites or had dubious funding.
The Faizabad sit-in case had been taken up after lying in limbo by Chief Justice Qazi Faez Isa soon after he took oath of office. However, multiple petitioners including the ministry of defence, the ECP and the Intelligence Bureau had told the court that they wanted to withdraw their review petition.