Information Minister Murtaza Solangi has rejected reports of unrest in Gilgit Baltistan as baselss and said that the region is showing a ‘sense of normalscy’.
Solangi made the statement in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Sunday.
“Amidst misleading social media narratives and fake news, let’s set the record straight,” he wrote.
“Gilgit-Baltistan is experiencing peace and stability. Schools, colleges, markets, and roads are open, displaying a sense of normalcy,” he said.
He added that protests are a ‘natural political democratic’ response and could happen in response to religious and sectarian concerns but were handled peacefully.
“No shots were fired, no damage to public and private property did occur,” he wrote.
He also clarified that the army had not been called to help restore law and order in GB.
“ilgit Baltistan remains a heaven of peace and harmony,”
Reports had emerged that army had been called in after videos on social media showed massive protests in response to a sectarian conflict.
However, GB’s home minister had said that local elders had been engaged to help resolve the issue and the army would only be appointed on the Chehlum.