Former premier and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan said on Thursday that National Accountability Bureau (NAB) was under the influence of the establishment and former army chief General (rtd) Qamar Javed Bajwa and that it t only took action against the “weak”.
“I never called former army chief General (rtd) Qamar Javed Bajwa my boss,” the PTI chief said speaking to the YouTubers at his Zaman Park residence in Lahore, adding that the new army chief should not follow the policies of his predecessor.
He termed the return of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s son, Suleman Shehbaz, an NRO-II. “Two families, Sharifs and Zardaris, have weakened all institutions,” the former premier added.
Earlier in the day the, Islamabad High Court barred authorities from arresting Suleman Shehbaz, who is in self-exile since 2018, from the airport on arrival, provided he presents himself in court.
The PTI chief said that when his party came to power, all kinds of mafias existed but the PTI-led government could not take action against them.
Responding to a question regarding his desire to appoint General Faiz Hameed as the new army chief, Imran Khan denied the claims saying that propaganda was hatched against him.
He noted that he was familiar with Lt Gen (retd) Faiz when the latter was Director-General (DG) Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
He said that he had never thought about appointing General Faiz Hameed as the army chief.
The PTI Chairman said that the first information report (FIR) should have been lodged as per the request of Arshad Sharif’s mother.
He said that the slain senior journalist’s mother has named the same people for the killing of her son whom he had identified earlier.
Speaking about dissolving Punjab assembly, the former prime minister said that Punjab Chief Minister Parvaiz Elahi had fully entrusted him, adding that the CM will dissolve the provincial assembly on his call.
The PTI chief said that the only way to stop extremism was to spread information about religion among masses.
“The attack on me was planned two and a half months ago,” he claimed.