Headlines at 12 noon: Zhob accident, Karachi rain, GLOF threat in Gilgit, loadshedding
Some of our top stories
- At least 19 people died and 14 others were wounded in an accident in Zhob’s Sherani district. It happened when a Quetta-bound passenger van plunged into a ditch. PM Shehbaz has directed Balochistan CM Bizenjo to provide immediate medical aid to injured people.
- The patience of people in Karachi is beginning to wear very thin as the city is yet to receive rain under the monsoon spell expected to fall from July 2 to 5. The Met Office has forecasted that the first spell of the monsoon will intensify on Sunday.
- The possible impact of rain is urban flooding in Karachi, according to the Met Office. Showers are also expected in Balochistan, Islamabad, Punjab, upper Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Azad Jammu and Kashmir.
- With the change in weather, some of the glaciers in Gilgit Baltistan have started to melt. The water flow in the Hussainabad drain increased due to the melting of the Shisper glacier.
- People in Karachi have complained about the unannounced loadshedding despite the release of an hours-long power outage schedule by the regulator. The country was facing a shortfall of more than 7,000MW.
- The coronavirus cases were increasing in the country as two people died over the last 24 hours, the National Institute of Health said in a tweet.
- Punjab CM Hamza Shehbaz has announced his decision to end the early market closure restriction till July 9. From July 11, markets and shops would again follow the previous timing.
- PTI leader Fayyazul Hassan Chohan has described the leak of apparent audio of former first lady Bushra Bibi as an “un-Islamic and against ethics” action. He said that only one authority has the audio and video of people but did not name it.
- People throng cattle markets ahead of Eidul Adha. They complain about the high rates of animals.
- Two teenagers were killed and one was injured in a shooting in Houston, Texas, according to police. The incident took place during a party. Police have launched an investigation.
- Fans remember singer Alam Lohar on the latter’s 43rd death anniversary. He was also awarded the Medal of Excellence award for his artistic services.
Key facts about Pakistan’s upcoming federal budget 2023-24
Tough contest expected as Bagh votes in by-election
Most wanted terrorist Sanaullah Ghafari killed in Afghanistan
Nawaz escaped justice by going to London, says UK anti-corruption org
Finance ministry suggests 20% increase in salaries of govt employees
Comments are closed on this story.